At SJWMS we place great emphasis on providing pupils with a broad and balanced education, relevant to current and future requirements and tailored to our individuals’ needs and strengths.
Traditional elements (including a study of the Classics) sit comfortably alongside the latest technologies. Much attention is paid to ensuring the foundations laid in Primary School are built upon whilst at the same time extending the knowledge and skills acquired across the whole range of key stage 2 studies.
Particular features of our curriculum are:
- All pupils are required to study modern foreign languages, taking French and Spanish from arrival in Year 7. As an alternative to one of these, Latin is available from Year 8.
- Information Communication Technology (ICT) is offered both as a provision in its own right and as a cross curricular theme throughout the School. Computing is available as an alternative study at both GCSE and A level.
- English, Mathematics and Science form the core provision for each pupil to GCSE. In addition, all pupils are asked to continue a modern foreign language and a humanity at Key Stage 4 – this enables all pupils to be compliant with the new English Baccalaureate requirements. In addition, pupils are able to select from a a wide-ranging choice of options.
- Religious Education is provided at all levels throughout the School and is available as an examinable GCSE.
- All pupils participate in a Life Skills Programme (which includes elements of careers education, health and sex education) together with Physical Education.